Smart Text - Utilities

Is there a smart text code to extract the invert elevation of a pipe run? I went through the codes list and couldn’t find anything but I thought there was a way.

You have to use the Smart Text @<EL,LD,F>@ and use a Leader line to indicate the point on the utility that you want to label - Elevation is derived from the Text Location (against a reference) or from a Leader Location that indicates a point at which to determine the elevation on objects like Surfaces, Lines and Pipes. Because a Line like a pipe has a different Elevation at each end and therefore a variable elevation along its length it doesnt have “an elevation” only “an elevation where queried”, so you have to identify the Object and the location method to derive the elevation.

Alan

1 Like

That was it. I was using ELL not EL. That why it wasn’t working. Thank you.

Actually I just tried that and that doesn’t seem to work because you don’t have an option to set the object. I also tried @<EL,OD,F>@ with no success.

Its odd that it doesn’t follow the pattern of the other codes.
You would assume it would be @<OD,O,EL>@

1 Like

So I just use Create Text, Set Leader Type to eg Spline with Arrow, set my Snap to Near Point, Select Insert Smart Text and Pick Elevation and Leader Point and then pick my leader point and text Insert Point and it works every time with a pipe made using Utilities.

Alan

1 Like