Find Surface Area
Command Licensing and Default Menu Location
- The Find Surface Area command is part of the RPS Modeling Toolbox
- The command is located on the Modeling macros menu ribbon
- The command is located in the Reports menu group
Provides a fast and easy way to determine the surface and plan areas of bounded areas on surface models. The surface areas can be defined by collections of 3D breaklines in the surface with the “Sharp and Texture” property, or areas of the surface where surface textures have been defined. The computed areas can be labeled on the drawing using this command.
Command Interface Description
The Find Surface Area command dialog looks as follows
Select the surface from which the surface areas will be determined. The surface should have one of the following attributes
- Has breaklines in the surface model that can collectively act as boundaries to determine areas
- Has breaklines that have the Surface sharpness property set to Sharp and Texture Boundary
- Has textures assigned to areas of the surface that you want to report (Add Surface Textures)
- Any Breakline - Select this option if you have breaklines that collectively bound the areas that you wish to determine the surface areas for
- Only Texture Edges - Select this option if you only want to use the breaklines in the surface model that have the Sharp and Texture Boundary property set. This will e.g. allow you to determine pavement areas between Edge of Pavement (EP) lines and ignore Lane Edge (LE) lines that fall between the Edge of Pavement lines if the EP lines have the Sharp and Texture Boundary Property and the Lane Edges do not.
Click any location on the surface model to act as a “Seed Point” to flood an area that will be computed. The area of the surface will be determined up to the defined limits (Breaklines or Sharp and Texture Breaklines).
The determined surface areas will be reported in the Results window. The Results can be converted into Text for placement on the drawing as annotation of the Surface Areas defined. The area determined will also be shaded in Yellow so you can see the extents of the area measured.
Tap the Create Text button to create a Text Label for the determined areas and select a location in the graphics area that you wish to place the text. In the pop up dialog (as shown below) you can define the Layer and Text Style that you wish to use for the label being placed
The placed drawing text looks like this
The text is placed at the centroid of the surface triangle in which you clicked to determine the surface area.
When you tap apply, the surface area will be computed and the command will ready itself for another selection set and repeat process execution. If you do not want to make a second selection and repeat the process tap Close to finish the process.
Closes the command without further execution.
The following video shows how to utilize the Find Surface Area command
Use Case Videos
The following videos show the use of the Find Surface Area command in a work process context
Feedback and Enhancement Requests
If you would like to provide feedback on the use of the Find Surface Area command or to request enhancements or improvements to the command please Click Here