Removing grass and shrubs from point clouds

In reference to Alan’s post on removing plants and shrubs.

For those of us using Propeller to capture and process our drone and point cloud data, how does this affect us? Is this something we can or should do on the backside of receiving the data from Propeller? Because Propeller will filter the point cloud (or not) for you but I have noticed that if you do use the vegetation filters that is the first excess they use when the surveys don’t line up from flight to flight. So to that I have been thinking about not applying filters to any of the surveys and doing the filtering my self in which case this would be a great tool.

Ben
The people I am working with are using Propeller also - they say that propeller is not removing the Grasses or shrubs at all or not well enough - so they reached out to us to see if we could assist - our tool does a great job of fixing this issue to a very large extent - so yes it is a post process - just like removing machines, people, vehicles, piles of pipe etc, this is the next stage to remove trees and grasses and bushes etc before then reducing the point cloud intelligently to a workable point count size that you can then create your models from.

Alan

1 Like

Allen,

This would work perfectly in my region as well!

Thanks,

Ben

Somewhat related, but I seem to be having an issue where no matter what I do to change the setting of the maximum point limit it is stuck at 500,000. Is there a specific procedure I am missing with it? Other than that I love the tool and use it all the time.

I noticed that yesterday also - have asked the devs to take a look at why that is happening.

Alan