Small Daily Tips

Two small tips that I stumbled across while doing some estimating work.

1. while entering a ROW linestring by bearing and distance. I had the idea to stop doing right click to add a new segment by bearing/distance. Instead (only works for linestring not polyline) I entered in the coordinates cell the bearing/distance ie… N52.1173w,711.78
  2. I had some PDF to import to a random location. I had to import the vector data so I could move/rotate the data to the correct location. As we know, you vector the PDF you import everything on the sheet unless you did a georeference vector. Since I could not georeference vector sheet, I had to do place image. I had the itch to open georeference vector for the PDF first so I could use the clipping boundary, close that command and use the place image. What do you know when the image was places the georeference vector clipping boundary stayed with the placed image. Even when I imported the vector data.

Enjoy

6 Likes

I did not know that about the bearing,distance. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

For those that present their models or the RPS team. I have recently found a nice command for the mouse pointer. For those following your presentation and don’t see the mouse pointer, this maybe a nice command to use so they can see where the mouse pointer is. This is a setting in the " mouse properties" called " sonar" It will show a sonar like you see in submarines to show where the pointer is. Once you use the sonar you can continue to click CTRL as many times as you want to continue to show the sonar.

3 Likes

Those that use the Background Map in TBC and also have imported PDF sheet visible in plan view. You are able to change the transparency to the Background Map in the properties. This allows you to view you sheet and the Background Map together. ( My project is not set to the right coordinate, so my sheets are shifted)

4 Likes

RPS Reverse Line also works on utility runs.

2 Likes

RPS Copy and Paste works for georeferenced pdfs

3 Likes

And it works for corridor sub templates and drawing sheet sets and more …

That is one of the best commands we have written in my view - use it ALL the time

Alan

5 Likes

I 100% agree. I kind of just see what I can copy, just for the fun of it.

2 Likes

I have even request HCSS add the copy and paste to their program.

1 Like

What is HCSS? Please forgive my ignorance.

They have a collection of softwares; bidding, tracking payable hours, telematics, mechanic maintenance, photogrammetry.

That’s kind of funny. I have been in the industry for 17 years and had never heard of it.

HCSS, Blue Beam and others It is the new way of reading plan. Digital plans.

2 Likes

Yeah, I use TBC, Bluebeam, Carlson on top of Civil 3D, even Adobe Pro sometimes, but I had never heard of HCSS.

F2 - Rename

I picked up this trick when renaming a bunch of downloaded files but it also works in TBC in a few areas.

2 Likes

All shortcuts should work with any program in Windows

2 Likes

HCSS is the defacto standard for estimating database programs for producing heavy construction cost analysis and final bid proposals for public and private projects (Heavy Bid). They also do project management software (Heavy Job), fleet management (Dispatcher), fleet maintenance (E360) and telematics. They are also doing Plan Management and developing Drone data processing software. Their annual user group meetings in Huston, TX are a blast!

1 Like

Use dynaview collections to create arrayed rectangles that you can then quickly Georeference plan set images to. Then you can use these for printing markups.

3 Likes

Converting Meter to Feet
As I was setting my cord shift to export some data to Google Earth. I am referencing our shift we have in HCSS which is in Meters. Instead of using a converter to convert Meters to Feet. I typed in the number which is Meter and the after the number I added an “M” to see if it would convert to Feet. Sure enough, TBC can convert Meter to Feet just by adding an “M” after the number.

3 Likes

Append line:

You can use start and end in the end to trace an entire line. I needed to do this to convert linestrings to polygons and it worked great for relatively quick work.

2 Likes