What's the most difficult part of learning TBC?

Honest question. If you were training a new user, where would you start? We have ideas around this and are working on some pretty amazing things, but would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

-Trev

1 Like

There are 2 areas that I struggle with personally.

1. Trying to get multiple PDF’s to line up. Why are there so many commands?? Why isn’t it easier?

2. Relayering data. This shouldn’t be that hard to take this much time. It’s a little ridiculous honestly. Especially if everything comes in on one layer and you have to sort it out. Our relayering command does the best job in my opinion but ther’s got to be a better way to make it faster / easier.

The most difficult areas to learn for a new user are where commands are found, and the fact that some commands are duplicated, while some commands are similar but not identical (i.e. takeoff commands, reports). Also having to hit enter or click that one last time for various functions is annoying and difficult to learn as a new user (i.e. changing an object’s layer in the properties panel and having to click or enter after the layer as already been selected, and using the command line interface).

Disclaimer: This is coming from a previous hardcore Civil 3D-er, where almost every command can be pulled up and executed with a couple keystrokes.

A good idea there is to create your own custom ribbons. I have several for different aspects such as Modelling, Corridors etc. It takes some time but helps a lot with production. As for a new user I would create a custom ribbon with basic functions and different ones for progression. If there is a function that is relative to what they are learning you can easily add those to the basic ribbon as well and just add as needed. I personally have for the most part remembered were everything is but that comes from using TBC since the first release. I have trained several people in the past and the ribbon idea has worked very well for them. This way the tool bar is not jumbled up.

As far as the layers go, creating new ones the new layer command from RPS is a time saver. Just hit apply after each one and you can just keep creating and applying as you go. Much quicker than the traditional way. Creating Layer group files saves as well especially for a new user. I think everything is task specific and managing the ribbon’s and layers definitely help. Name by layer command is another great command to pick up to start of as a new user.

Something like a import function were when the data is imported it would recognize the name. For instance if it labeled Curb & Gutter, it would place a Suffix in front and create a Layer group Labelled Curb. You could specify a Suffix or prefix to use as a default or if it could recognize the first label and group everything in that layer group that is created from that. This way anything with Curb as a description even being Curb Type will be organized in that group. This would take away the time to create groups. Hope this makes sense.