USB Key vs Network License

In your organization do you use a hard USB Key or Network License version of TBC? What are the plusses and minuses of each that you have found?

We use USB keys. The plus is that you donā€™t need to rely on an internet connection for TBC to work (at least it used to be that way, they may have improved that by now, hopefully someone else can confirm). You used to be able to ā€˜sign outā€™ a license, but you had to know enough to do that before you found yourself in a spot with no internet which usually never happens.

The minus to using USB is you can lose it or break it. The number one way we have broken them is by having it plugged into the side of a laptop, then you move the laptop and hit the USB on something and snap off the plug. Iā€™ve never broken one I coudnā€™t fix, but its definitely an issue.

We used to use the USB key then transitioned to the subscription model. In all honesty, I donā€™t notice a difference other than if you lose that USB key itā€™ll cost you the same amount roughly to get another, the subscription has been copacetic as far as Iā€™m concerned and what i use this utility for.

I have a USB key, and I agree the only problem is breaking or losing it. The casing on mine has cracked, but it still works, and I prefer it better than the network license. Some people in our company use the network, and we constantly have issues with it not working or too many people using it at once, etc. Between the two, I would say the key is the way to go. I have also heard that the subscription works well, but I havenā€™t used that yet myself.

I have a USB key because ā€œback in the day,ā€ when they switched to network licensing, we had so much trouble it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Those issues, Iā€™m sure, are fixed, but hardware licensing makes me feel better in the never-ending beta program we call Trimble.

1 Like

We have used usb keys in the office and subscription for guys in the field that only need basic functionality. One of our office keys has more modules unlocked than the other, so we spend some time swapping keys now and then. If you are doing any remote work you may not want to rely on a physical hardware key.

Update: VirtualHere works well for sharing a USB key over the network, as long as you donā€™t have a usb filter setting that prevents it from working. This may not be the most ideal long-term setup without a separate machine acting as the serverā€¦

Morning.
Currently our company uses the USB hasps.
Negatives:
1. Destructibility and loss are the biggest, there have been a few close calls.
Currently a hasp has separated from the outer casing and the other the casing
has cracked.
2. Being a USB, they will eventually wear out and need replacement. Might not be
an option in the future. (Internet keys and such.)
3. Each user needs to have an individual hasp.
4., Each hasp has to have its own lisc.

Positives:
1. The ability to work from home without the need for a connection to servers and
the internet. For example: At a hotel, when the network canā€™t be trusted.
2. Multiple people can be working, without sharing a key. Provided each has a hasp

Internet Key:
Negatives:
1. Internet Access required.
2. Unless an Enterprise package is available, then additional keys required.
3. Each key must be assigned to a user, where as a hasp can be switched from
user to user as required.

Positives:
1. The notion of lost or missing hasps eliminated.
2. User of the key is known and can be restricted or revoked by admin.
3. Simple additions for new users or keys.

The observations above are from past experiences with both the Hasp keys in TBC and net keys I have used on other earthwork software. Hope this helps.
-J.

We are using the network license where I am working, the upside is the cost. That is about it though. We have been having issues with having a license available even when you are online and connected. It isnā€™t enjoyable having to keep dismissing the no license notification several times even to make a simple polyline. Trimble has NOT been very helpful in trying to correct the issue.

1 Like

I use a network key. Constantly deal with not having a license issue where if I keep clicking on the tool it will eventually verify the key exists.

We currently use Network keys. Fast way to connect when on internet. will need internet to access RPS command. Lucky we all have phones and can get a hotspot.
Bad, is only so many license and so many user.

Dongle could be placed in a hard case with a hole drilled for the cable to come out and connect to laptop. Using a small portable hub for the dongle and other usb key is useful for travel.

What is Common To All Solutions

1. You have to install the software on your computer
  2. You can run Rockpile on all options below
  3. In all cases you will need to use a Trimble ID
  4. In all cases the software does the same thing and works the same way

Pros of USB Key

1. works anywhere any time
  2. always works when connected to computer
  3. Each key can have its own configuration
  4. adding warranty or a module - only needed on the individual license
  5. Optional whether you do / do not take warranty on the product
  6. The warranty date is unique for each key - you can align if needed or keep them different to improve your cash flow

Cons of a USB Key

1. someone else always has it
  2. only gets used when the owner of the key uses it
  3. can get lost or damaged and then you have to replace it and cannot work while doing so.
  4. Pay an annual fee to maintain the product - but it is optional - you have a lifetime of use on the product you purchased if it does what you need

Pros of Network License

1. keeps licenses central to everyone
  2. can check out a license and go remote / off line if needed and also if you want to secure a license so that you always have one when you are pushing out a bid etc.
  3. All licenses get returned to network at some point - automatically or manually
  4. Licenses are pooled and will likely get higher utilization i.e. relative cost per seat is reduced as a result
  5. Maybe do not need as many individual seats - i.e. can save overall cost

Cons of a Network License

1. one key on the license cannot be checked out - there has to be one always on the network
  2. all licenses have to be the same - if you have 4 seats and want to add maintenance or add a module you have to do them all at the same time.
  3. Can get situations where you need a license but do not have one available
  4. The warranty dates all have to align on a single Network License, that hits your P&L at the same time for all licenses that can impact your cashflow

Pros of a Subscription License

1. For a new user, can keep the cost down to one year of cost at least initially
  2. Work like a Network license i.e. are pooled and can be checked out
  3. Fully maintained in a single annual cost - can upgrade to new versions without having to check warranty dates or purchase updated warranties
  4. Annual fee is a direct expense that can be written off directly each year and can be charged against projects specifically
  5. Can walk away at any time - no initial capital sum or fixed asset to depreciate
  6. Each subscription seat can have a unique configuration - i.e. they donā€™t all need to be the same
  7. The warranty date is unique for each key - you can align if needed or keep them different to improve your cash flow

Cons of a subscription license

1. Typically cost more over time than a Perpetual License with Maintenance ~4 year break even point
  2. Cannot use it if you do not pay a subscription - there is no long life of an older version like there is with a perpetual license
  3. Configurations are less flexible than perpetual licenses - you have fewer options to configure your own system - you may need to purchase more than you need to get what you want
3 Likes

I use a usb dongle in a SEH dongle server, keeps the dongle safe and you can remotely