To expand on my corridor reporting questions

I’ve had some time to better think about ideally the kind of reporting that I’d like to see come out of TBC, especially in regards to Corridor Earthwork progress reporting.

For background, I have a 7 mile long corridor project. It’s a levee and a canal where the material excavated from the canal is then flipped over and used to build the levee. However, it’s not a direct flip and the material must first be stockpiled along the corridor before then being placed. There will also be around 90,000 CY of import fill on the project.

As it is now, providing a simple progress report and tracking actual quantities of materials used is quite difficult due to the nature of the work and the way in which TBC does reporting. We track all of our machine production on WorksOS as well, so we have real time production there, but it does not capture the stockpiles well. However, we fly a LiDAR drone regularly and are able to update our progress there as well. We are being paid by CY of material excavated and placed and also by CY imported. At the moment, rectifying our quantities with the quantities a surveyor provides every 100 ft. is difficult and we are in a losing proposition.

I’m confident that I can with a little effort obtain a true progress surface as we continue to merge WorksOS data with drone data. The issue comes in the reporting side.

I know that Alan is working on something for reporting, but in the meantime I was hoping maybe someone has some ideas as to how to get what I am looking for which is a simple report that I can give to a project manager.

Ideally it would be something like this:
1.) Start with an alignment-based corridor and an existing surface. Provide a baseline earthwork/mass haul report that provides a starting point for beginning the project.

2.) Intermediate reporting: Upload progress surfaces from either drone or topo and combine with progress reporting from WorksOS to get an accurate real-time progress report.

a. This reporting needs to be able to be processed in such a way that it will give you up to date 
    quantity reporting by defined stationing and also produce a x-section in CAD or PDF profile view 
    that is included in the reporting.

b. The ideal report would be something like:
         1.  STA 10+00-STA 11+00 
              a.) Work Completed to date:
              Cut: 5,000 CY Fill: 2,200 CY Excess/Deficit: +2,800 CY
              b.) Work completed in timeframe since last update:
              Cut: 2,000 CY Fill 500 CY Excess/Deficit +250 CY
              c.) Work Remaining to Finish Grade
              Cut: 500 CY Fill 3500 CY Excess/Deficit -2,000 CY

This report would repeat for the duration of the project by stationing so you could track progress by areas.

1. X-Section Comparing Initial Existing : Progress Report : Finish Grade
    a.) A quick profile X-section view so that you can see initial to latest to finish.

I have all of the data in TBC to make a report like this happen but I do not know if it is even possible or is something that TBC could do. As you can see the initial surface, progress surfaces, and finish surface are all in here.

AS-Built Corridor

That said, I know the stockpile issue could cause some problems. WorksOS and TBC both calculate those as “Cut” regions because the material is stacked on top of Finished Grade so in the comparisons it still tells me there is a lot of cut left. While true on the surface, the reality is that the material has already been cut it just needs to be placed. If there were a way to create boundaries around the areas and assign them to not be included in cut BUT to be included in the available fill that would be ideal.

I think this is where I am on this at the moment. If anybody has any ideas on how to get something close to this done that would be amazing.

As an update, I am attempting to use ChatGPT to write a VBA script for Civil3d to get this done but Civil3D is horrible at handling the data. We’ll see how it goes.