PRO TIP - Import PDF using Station Point ID

I am going to do a continuation of what Pat start with Pro Tips from the users. I am not sure if we should start one thread or user can add onto an existing.
I am giving my tip for placing PDF in plan view by stations. I have been using this for over a year and just recently saw a video that Alan post on using the station/offset view to import PDF by station/offset instead of clicking on the alignment. So, i figured i would add my tip on adding PDF by stations.

When placing PDF by stations, I import a *CSV file with station numbers as my point ID’s. It make it where I only click on the PDF location and for my project location I type in the point number that resembles the station. I have learned a quick method in Excel to do a auto fill for all the station along the alignment by increment that i will share.

We will start with a new Excel sheet. The file will be saved as a *CSV file. Do a save as now or when your ready to.

1. Start by adding your first Point ID in cell A1 * this will match the station number. use a even number closed station ie…10000(100+00).

2 )Next, be sure to have A1 select. In the Home group we will select the Fill tab drop down menu. Click on Series. This will have a pop up window. We want to auto fill the column, change the series in to Columns. in the Type menu be sure that Linear is selected . Leave trend unchecked . This next step we will choose our increment and that last station to stop at. The Step Value will be the increment. Choose your increment, I do 100 so not to import a lot of point. Last is the Stop Value which is the last station you will stop the autofill at. These will be the Point ID so no need to add the +or any other symbol. click OK

1. The column should now be auto filled in the increment that was chosen. If need or want you can change the first and last Point ID number to the first/last station of your alignment. Depending how many row you have, a quick way to get to the last cell. Select cell A1, click and hold “SHIFT+Ctrl, then arrow down”. This will bring you straight to the last row. Click on the last cell if you want to change that Point ID. After you have done any changes, do a insert cell in cell A1 so we can type in TBC EXCEL. Next will be to copy all those Point ID’s so we can use them for the stations. Copy and Paste all your Point ID into column B. You can use the hold “SHIFT+Ctrl then arrow down”, to select all your Point ID. Then “Ctrl+C” to copy. For a quick jump to the top click on any cell with data and hold “Ctrl then arrow up”. Last will be to add your offset at Zero. Type into cell C1 0.
    To autofill to your last row, click in cell C1. Move your cursor to the bottom right corner and the cursor will. you should see a bold see you icon change to a bold +. double click and your column will autofill to you last station. To check the all offset are fille, simple “SHIFT+Crtl then arrow down” will show you if autofill filled in correctly. That is all, if you want like any *CSV file you can add a description. Do a *Save AS CSV file if you have not already.

I’ve had one project two alignment with the same station and all I did was add an extra 0 at the end of my Point ID.
When placing you image. Once you picked on your PDF location A (STATION), for the project location in the next column type in your Point ID number without the +. You will see that it will bring in the coordinates in. Now do that same for Point B and click register. Verify that plan sheet is placed correct and move on to the next one. For me this method i don’t have do do any moving to find my project locations.
enjoy …

3 Likes