Poll: How should we visualize this cut/fill surface?

2023-06-15_11-34-03

Above is a draft rendering of a cut/full surface. Its intent is to visualize the amount of cut or fill remaining in different areas by showing both the surface change and applying cut/fill band colors. This does not replace other cut/fill views such as projecting cut/fill colors onto the target surface.

Again, this is surface is created purely by looking at the amount of cut/fill needed in different areas – it is not a design surface. The goal is to have a flat surface where no more cut/fill is needed per the target design.

Which way fits your way of thinking in a chart like this – would you make the blue fill rise up (and red cut areas dip down) or blue fill areas dip down (and red cut areas rise up)?

Please vote and then see how you compare with other voters:

• Option A: You could look at the above image and think “I have this much fill material I need to dump/add to this area – it kinda looks like loads I need to place there”.
  • Option 1: Or we could show this blue fill as a downward (hole-shape) area and you could think “I need to dump material to “fill” these blue holes if I’m going to reach my cut/fill targets”.

0 voters

Do you care? Would you ever want to see a chart like this or use it to communicate project status to others? Select from Low to high value to you…

0 voters