Points to Station
Command Licensing and Default Menu Location
- The Move Points to Station command is part of the RPS Data Prep Toolbox
- The command is located on the Data Prep macros menu ribbon
- The command is located in the Modify menu group
Provides the ability to move selected survey points onto even station locations within a move tolerance for reporting purposes.
Command Interface Description
The Points to Station command dialog looks as follows
Select the points (typically measured points that were measured at specified station locations, but by the nature of hand held pole mounted prisms or GPS receivers are positioned slightly off station), that you wish to move onto whole or specific station values for reporting and drawing purposes.
The assumption here is that the elevation at the measured location and the elevation at the desired station are equal, and that you are only making minor adjustments to the measured points position for the benefit of drawing creation, labeling and reporting purposes.
Select the alignment to use for station referencing. The selected points will be moved onto the station values specified, determined from this alignment.
There are two options here for point movement.
- Nearest Even Station - If you select this option, the points will be moved to the nearest station increment based on the Station Rounding input below (Station rounding only applies to this option and will change to Move to Station if the Specified Station option is selected).
When you select the Nearest Even Station option, you will enter a Station rounding value in this field. if you enter a value of 1 here, the points will be moved up or down station to the nearest 1 unit station location from their current position. If you enter 0.5 then the points would move to the nearest 0.5 foot or meter station.
If you were measuring check locations at 20’ stations, you can enter 20 here as most of your points should be close to that station increment position.
- Specified Station - If you are selecting just a set of points measured at a specific station location that may not meet the station rounding criteria, you can select this option and enter a specific station value in the Move to Station field that appears when this option is selected.
Move to Station
The value that you enter here can be a specific value e.g. 1203.125 for example. All the selected points will be moved to the specified station value.
Enter a tolerance value for the maximum movement that you want to allow a selected point to be moved. The value here should be slightly larger than the expected positioning error associated with e.g. a hand held prism or GPS rod. The tolerance value is provided to stop points being moved by large distances, where the elevation assumption mentioned above would no longer hold true. Typically a value of 0.5’ or 0.1m should suffice in most situations.
When you tap apply, the points will be moved to the correct station locations and the command will ready itself for another selection set and repeat process execution. If you do not want to make a second selection and repeat the process tap Close to finish the process.
Closes the command without further execution.
The following video shows how to utilize the Points to Station command
Use Case Videos
The following videos show the use of the Points to Station command in a work process context
Feedback and Enhancement Requests
If you would like to provide feedback on the use of the Points to Station command or to request enhancements or improvements to the command please Click Here