Points From Blocks

Hello,

I have a project where 10,000 CMCs need to be staked by number. The point number needs to be calculated with the same number as the column. Is there any existing routine, or an easy way to make one, that could convert the autocad blocks to TBC points. While snapping to all the points is doable, I fear that there will be several design revisions based upon ground obstructions found during installation. Thanks in advance.

Layout.vce (1.8 MB)

Not near a computer. Maybe give export DXF a try and option check for explode blocks. Then reimport .

Thanks, I tried and don’t really know if that does what I am after. I would need get them into point form, or maybe a csv.

possibly use the explode point command inside TBC.

That just explodes the block like autocad. The CMC number is actually an attribute I think. A routine would need to analyze the block and use the attribute as the point number.

Glad use ask this. I am going to need this as well.

Try this:

I don’t know if TBC can read the attribute value of the imported block, but it seems like all a command would need to do would be return a list of the possible block attributes. Once defined for the selection it could use that specified attribute value as the point name for creation of additional points.

The spot command creates points from blocks but does not use any attribute for Naming purposes that I know of - I am sure it could be done if we have access to the attribute data in a block which I am not sure if we do or don’t in TBC.

If we can get a sample of the data to look at in its native format eg Dwg or DXF - if we can’t do it in tbc I have Autocad users with me this week that could look at what is there and find a way to generate what you need - Preston Cox is my goto on this and he is at PUG with me and I am sure he could do it for you and advise me what we would need to use in TBC to make it work.

I have out lead developer here with me also so maybe we can get something for you

Alan

I tried to convert this in C3D and every time it crashes.

Hey Alan, here is the original AutoCAD file with the blocks. For this I may need to drop back into auto cad I am thinking. The amount of blocks seems hard to work with in TBC. If you guys have any ideas let me know, but if I need to snap all of them for this one I will. This would be helpful in the future as it seems like this is becoming more common with warehouse projects around our area.

210709-1581-Eddystone 2nd&Saville-CMC-Rev1 For survey.dwg (8.5 MB)

1 Like

Yeah, it is a lot of blocks.

Here are the blocks bursted so at least the attributes are retained.

210709-1581-Eddystone 2nd&Saville-CMC-Rev1 For survey - blocks burst.dwg (6.0 MB)

Thank you, that will be helpful to have the text at least in the background map. I am not sure access would do well with all those blocks.

Then, and I just tried this, use Data Prep/ Spot Elevations/ Closed Linework including circles. This will create points at your circles and elevate your points based on your point number. You could then export out, swap columns around in excel and reimport.

You may need to do some clean up but this should save you some time.

1 Like

Heads up it took over 30+ minutes to explode the multiline text. I think this is a bug and submitted this to TBC support.

Update - Properties pane was open. With it closed this took 2 minutes. Seems like that should get addressed.

Awesome, talk about a work around. I will try this. Seems like like a good idea.

@alan.sharp what would save us from having to do anything C3D would be a burst command in TBC. I will reach out to support about this but then all of this work could be exclusively done in TBC. I do not believe anything exist today correct?

1 Like

We have notified Trimble of this issue - we have added tools to our commands that allow you to auto close and reopen properties pane because of it - it was caused when they added Selection Set control to Properties Pane.

Any Mass Select and change process - close the properties pane before you press OK - otherwise you will be there a while on large numbers of selected objects.

Alan