Point Cloud Processing and Export to LLH CSV File for Topcon AG Software

I was assisting a user with the point Cloud Processor today and they asked some follow on questions relating to getting the data out of TBC into their Topcon AG Software that only imports point data in WGS84 Coordinates (Lat Long Height).

The steps we took were as follows

Use Point Cloud processor - this reduced the 2.5m points file to ~80,000 points

In the Point Cloud Menu use the command Scan to CAD - select Random and enter the number of points - use a number larger than the total number of points in your reduced point cloud i.e. i used 100000 points. This creates a CAD point out of every point in the reduced point cloud i.e. 81k points.

CAD Points only have an NEZ they cannot have a LLH value so you have to use the CAD Menu and a command called Convert CAD Points - this will allow you to convert the CAD Points into Survey Points. In this process you will delete the CAD Points and replace them with Grid Points (turn off the Grid Only Check Box to create Grid Points) - Grid Points are tied to the project Coord System and have an NEZ in the local Coord System (State Plane) as well as a Global Coordinate in LLH (WGS84).

Now that you have Grid Points you can select and export them, using Export and select your format - if all you need is LLH and not PLLHD then you can define a custom format for the CSV file that you need.

This will output a CSV file of LLH in WGS84 Coordinates. This process in TBC is incredibly slow - so I would use the Rockpile Point Detail report because it does the export in a couple of seconds - TBC will take a looooong time to export 81000 points (we are talking 30 mins plus) …

Note that TBC is not that efficient with Point data and you will find some of these steps pretty slow - if the Topcon Software could read other formats like KML or SHP or GeoDB it would be a whole lot quicker.

If this is too slow, then I could likely have one of my team write a tool to read all the points from a point cloud and write them in WGS84 coords directly if needed.

I have recorded a video to show you how - I posted it here.

1 Like