PDF Vector command

I am having some issues with the new command PDF Vector command it only allows me to work with one page then I click the down arrow it does not let me choose a different page not sure if I am doing something wrong? I have the snap locations on for all the sheets that I’m working with and it will wont let me pick them. thank you,

1 Like

There will be a fix for this out early next week - apologies for the inconvenience

Alan

1 Like

Alan,

I have been using PDF vector and my one complaint: Some pdf’s are point(snap) heavy and when trying to extract singular objects, there is a lot of thinking in the background. For instance I had a single contour dead-head at 2000 pts and the line was under 200’ in length. I had a 30-40 second wait time on each contour. It ended up being quicker with this data set to import all vector data and delete all but contours. Is there something that can be done to extract quicker? Is this a case-by-case evaluation?

Nate

The issue in the scenario you mention is caused most likely by the fact that you have the checkbox for Close enabled - unless the contours you are picking really are closed, turn that off because the close check is slow as it has to check each point to see if it is the same as the first point and that checking takes time when there are many nodes in the line.

We are currently using the Point Snap list created by TBC on georeferencing a Vector PDF. We have asked Trimble if they could add a line index to those points so that when we pick on one point we would auto know which other points belong to the same line - that would make it much easier to pull the vectors out and would be far less dependent on the controls to work out where the ends of the lines are etc.

Since that has not been done, we may end up trying to do our own indexing of the point data at some point to make this faster than it is today - I agree that in some situations it may be easier to rip out the vectors and then Copy and Paste them from one TBC file into your working project once you have them in a fit state to do so.

We will be revisiting this command soon to do the 3rd type of line (Arcs and Straights), as that needs its own workflow process, and I will try to evolve the point list methods some more in that process.

In the meantime, try turning off that checkbox - I think you will find things work a lot faster as a result

Alan

1 Like

Alan,

I did indeed have the check for closure selected. I will try that same data set with it off. I figured there was something simple I was missing in settings or work-flow that was impacting performance. I have been using it on smaller data-sets with most settings left to default and everything was dreamy.

Thanks for the logic, I will remember to evaluate the data set relative to system settings in the future.

Nate

1 Like

Alan,

What a difference! It went from grueling to stupid fast. Almost no wait time after turning off closure. I was hesitant turning off as there are a bunch of closed contours and didn’t want them jumping. With closure off I am getting the whole of the closed contour at reasonable wait times and I believe my max distance is restraining the jump.

Thanks!

Nate

1 Like

Good to hear Nate - thought that was the case

I think that is covered in the Help Document … :slight_smile:

Alan

1 Like

I think it was covered in the initial web introduction. I’m getting old, my memory isn’t what it was and I don’t always read the help :shushing_face:

sure appreciate the re-cap though!

Nate

1 Like

No issue buddy - we are all tight for time

Alan

1 Like