Moss / MX GENIO import with Mapping File

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to create a TML to import GENIO files so it references to a Mapping file like Terramodel. It would be also handy to have a utility like the ‘MOSSMIN’ TML in Terramodel so mapping files can be easily customised. The current TBC import for GENIO files is not that good as it’s not possible to separate the GENIO codes into separate layers. At the moment it’s still better to import the GENIO files into Terramodel, Map the codes to the preferred layers, then export it out so it can be used in TBC.

A relayer by name command wiukd solve that thiugh right?

Alan

Hi Alan, I suppose that is possible. Just hoping for something that is more streamlined so data can be layered, coloured, & linetyped by one click by referencing to a pre-defined code list (Mapping File).

Feature surveys issued in GENIO format can require mapping to over 100 layers to define what the feature is. The Main Roads Feature Survey naming convention here in Western Australia has over 50 different type of features alone that start with the character P. I expect it would be quite time consuming separating out 50 different features that get imported into TBC as ‘P-String GENIO’. A P-String feature could be a Borehole (PBH0) or could be something completely unrelated like a Kilometer Post (PRK0).

Just asking if it was possible to get similar functionality in TBC that I currently have in Terramodel. The relayer by name command in TBC could take hours to complete whereas the workflow in Terramodel takes minutes - or even just seconds if the mapping file is complete.

I can send you some sample GENIO files in TXT format and some sample mapping files in CSV format if that would assist.

Thanks.

The MX importer is TBC native software so we woud have to rewrite the whole importer to do what you are asking, however we could write a relayer by name function that could be used on any imported data that used a Map file or just the feature names to relayer the data. A Map file would give ability to specify color, lineweight, linestyle for a name of feature and would allow wild cards to ignore string numbers so that INT1 or INT2 would all map to INT layer - so use a closest match approach - put INT in the map file so that if you had IN and INT codes that INT would map to INT but INC would map to IN for example.

This is probably not too hard to do and probably quite quick and easy to write and would solve the problem once you have the MAP file

We could also populate the MAP file with the codes sorted so that it was easy to create in excel etc.

Let me know if this would solve the issue - I could see us adding this function but not a rewrite of the MX import which would I think be a lot of work- the Moss export that we wrote has sold only a few copies and was weeks of work for development so we have to be careful where we spend our dev time - we want to help but we also have a lot of things we want to do and we have to spend our dev time wisely.

Alan

Hi Alan,

What you have suggested above would be great if it was possible. The current Genio import function still registers the design alignments well and seems bring in the data cleanly, it is just that a lot of the data gets bundled in the one layer. So if you can create a TML to relayer by name after the data has been imported as described above it will assist in separating out the imported data so we can prep it accordingly. Thanks.

Hi Alan, What is the estimated time frame you think this might be available?