Is anyone having any trouble draping a PDF over a surface?

I have added my PDF to my surface and turned on my visibility to color. No color appears and no image.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you.

Did you geo references the pdf? I’m not quite following what you mean by adding a PDF to a surface.

it’s working on my end. I’m on 5.70 still though. Not sure what version you’re on. Are you just adding it as a surface member and making sure its turned on in 3d?

I have only done a “add surface member” for the PDF. you can select your PDF in the imported file section which is in the project explorer. select the PDF and add them as surface members to the desired surface. this was done in v5.80

@Francisco_Guerrero and Erik_Petersen (it won’t let me tag more than 2 people)

I have used the command on 'add surface members", selected the PDF from the PROJECT EXPLORER menu, and added it successfully.

When I go to my surface properties and I choose to view the “shading: by color” no color appears and no image. So I can see that it the PDF has been registered in the surface, but it is not replicating it.

I am on version 5.90 I have done it successfully on an older version before, but it has been a while and was wondering if I perhaps had missed a step.

@Brandan_Lewellen

Yes, the image is already geo referenced.

Thank you all for your responses!

Yeah, I tried the shade color and made my PDF disappear also. even somehow cut up my surface. I do not remember having this issue when I was I think on 5.7 and older.

I am not seeing the same on 5.9. Selecting the PDF and add surface member drapes as expected. I can turn the pdf off and back on by changing the display type in the plan and 3d settings but it always comes back when selecting surface color. Have you looked at your display settings for the pdf and the surface? your transparency level isn’t giving you fits? The only other thing I could think that may be different - did you import the sheet as a plan? I don’t know if this would affect anything but maybe? you might remove it as a member and re-add?

**at a 80 surface and 80 pdf transparency with pdf display set to dimmed, I can get the sheet to all but disappear

@nate_doyle

I have removed and re-added, adjusted the display settings, taken transparency down to 0, removed dimmed and still nothing. I attempted on three separate projects and no it was a no go. I did find one older project that I am currently running on 5.90 but the surfaces were built in a previous version and it worked. Yet, I did a quick new surface and appended a PDF and it worked as well.

I admit, I am at a loss.

What are the chances you have added surface textures? I have had my surfaces refuse to display on export to other viewers due to the textures. I wonder if, should you have added, the textures would over-ride the draped pdf. I really don’t know either…we might have to wait for Shane or Alan to chime in.

It’s odd that it breaks for one surface but another works just fine. Is the quick surface in the same project as the one that won’t work?

and your drivers are all up to date? I was getting unexpected behavior out of the measure tool yesterday and the only thing that fixed it was driver installs. I might be making it up, but it seems that if NVidia isn’t current, TBC behaves a fool

@nate_doyle

I don’t typically add textures to my surfaces. These surfaces do not have any textures, but the only thing I can see being different among the project in which it worked and the ones that it didn’t, is that the one where it did work is in fact the oldest working model I tried it on. Created sometime in December of 2022. While the oldest from the ones that did not work was made around March of this year. My drivers are up to date, but I can give the computer another look over.

Not a make or break feature but yesterday morning I was doing a presentation and it occurred to me, so now I am deep down this rabbit hole.