Input Inches With Fractions in TBC

Hello! When entering in feet & inches into a TBC command like Offset what is the correct format to enter for conversation? If you enter 19’9 it will convert to 19.75 to utilize in the command. How you would you enter fractions as well, such as 19’ 9-3/4". Any dashes or slashes seem to be trying to do the math based on the input. Thank You!

just spaces will do.

5 Likes

@Francisco_Guerrero Thank You! I was overthinking it. Appreciate that!

@Francisco_Guerrero do you have any idea on using feet and inches when only offsetting a segment? See video

with the advancement of the Vector PDF tool and snap. I would turn on the Vector snap if that PDF is a Vector PDF. then just snaps to those segments along the PDF.
if not, then a table in Excel to convert the inches =CONVERT(A3,“in”,“ft”)

2 Likes

Got it, thanks. I just wanted to see if there was a reason that you couldn’t enter ft in into the offset segment routine. Snaps wouldn’t be viable because of how they mark up these plans and external conversation is always an option too. Just trying to stay in the same routine. Thanks.

Good work Frank - thanks for the assist here

Alan

Alan, is there any reason that it will not allow the fraction input for use with “offset segment” or do they just not anticipate someone needing to enter FT IN into that input? Thanks!

Probably a bug that that control doesn’t allow it - I will report it in once I have verified it

Alan

1 Like

Great, thanks Alan !

@alan.sharp did you ever have any luck repeating this issue with the ft/in in offset segment?
I am doing the same type project and doesn’t look like there was ever any changes. The funny thing is that if you enter in just the foot and inch without and fractions it will convert it correctly. Its still the fractions that give that error about a curve, but its not even a curve its a stright linestring segment.

@alan.sharp Also I thought the RPS Station Offset Points command may be a good alternative to tackle this task. Check out the video, it seems like it can handle the ft and in OK, but when when you throw in a fraction of an inch the stationing fails to convert(offset works just fine). Very similar to the stock Offset Line Command in TBC. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

I was debating this with Trimble last week - they were using 5.9 and I was using 5.81 - I could not get it to work and they insisted that it was working for them - I can only assume that 5.90 will work better

They sent out a Webinar Invite to release info yesterday so I guess it is due out today or Tuesday

Our tools will be updated - however it will be back end of next week before they are released to work with 5.90

Alan

Ok great. I will give 5.9 a shot once it drops.

On a related note, is there any way when using the Offset Line Command to keep the original offset line sticky so if you want to keep offsetting the an original line vs currently how it auto advances to the line you just offset. Doesn’t look like you can because no sticky button, but I didn’t know if I was missing something. Thanks!

Use our Slope Designer Tool - that allows you to apply multiple offsets to a selected line

Alan

Great suggestion, I didn’t think of that tool for this. It works great for this application. Thanks Alan