Importing Template to a different project fails when saving it as an XML

Hello,
Getting ready to help a customer with an upcoming project using corridors.
While Testing templates, I have exported a few as XML, but they fail to import to a different project so that I can apply the template to a new corridor. Using 5.32 version. Exporting them - no issues but when I try to import them into a new project, they fail.
What is the best practice when importing Templates saved as XML from the options menu at the bottom of the page?
I was successful in exporting a Corridor as a VCL and imported it to the second project and all elements of the Corridor came across. Now, one is able to reference other templates to a new corridor when create a second corridor. Using 5.32.
thanks in advance.
M

Found that : One way is to export a Corridor as a VCL and import it to a new project. Then create the new corridor and insert Corridor Template, select to copy method in the options pulldown menu. This worked fine. thanks.

First thing to note is that the first instruction has to use the “previous” instruction so that it can hook onto the alignment in the target corridor in the different project - because if you specify a specific named alignment and that is different in the target project it will not know what to do.

Second the corridor model that you are copying from, the template should not use reference lines or 2D lines or tables that relate to a specific line or alignment stationing as those will not be the same in the target project corridor.

Third - do not use surface instructions in the source corridor because again that will not exist in the target corridor either

So if you want to use copy and paste or the template export import process I recommend that you build typical templates rather than specifics, use standard offset slope, offset elevation, sideslope type instructions and don’t create tables or associate instructions with specific lines, stations or surfaces etc because those are never likely to.be the same from one model to another.

If you start with a generic template you can use copy paste or export xml / import xml quite successfully and then add in the attachments to ref lines, 2D lines, tables etc.

So think about the source template as being a start point rather than a final solution - they are a short cut or building block to build from that gives you most of the base instructions for finished grade or subgrades.

Hope this helps

Alan

2 Likes

This is kind of a pain because then you cannot create any real complex templates which is what you would want to essentially create save and reuse to cut down on time. It would be better if the referenced nodes, lines came in as undefined and then you could edit to fix the undefined objects.

1 Like

This can also be problematic if you are designing and swapping out different templates for different scenarios. I don’t think you can use a VCL export in this case because you would duplicate things such as surfaces when reimporting.