IFC and Drafting

Will IFC show up on cross sections or profiles? Trying to show building details on a subdivision plan. Any recommendations to show this? I could make surfaces but that would be painful.

3 Likes

I have been trying to find a way to make this work also, to no avail. Even TBC created networks would be great.
I haven’t found anything that will display an ifc in a cut and networks only display in the slicer. Hoping someone has a process or recommendations as well

2 Likes

I have been playing with the cutting planes - I think it can all be done here. IFC shows and point clouds display. I have not been able to get them to display outside of the plane viewer however, and I am struggling to get surface data to display here as well. The help topic is under point clouds so it may be limited…one may have to create point clouds out of surfaces prior?

From the help: TBC Help

Use the Cutting Plane View command… that allows you to “cut through” a point cloud, surface, 3D shell (for example, a pipe or cylinder), or SketchUp model for data viewing and capturing purposes. You can use the Cutting Plane View to create CAD line work right on the view (for example, linework tracing features on a building facade) that can be printed as a dynaview in a sheet set and/or exported to other applications via various CAD exporters.

Optionally, use the various CAD and drafting commands in TBC to create and edit CAD objects on the Cutting Plane View tab that display, as applicable, in the various graphic views.
Most CAD objects that are supported on the Plan View are also supported on the Cutting Plane View. This includes CAD polylines, linestrings, polygons, arcs and circles, rectangles, text, points (with World coordinates), and label tables. For example, you could trace the outline of a building facade and it’s features and export it to another application. (See Work with CAD Tools for more instructions on creating CAD objects.) The Cutting Plane View also supports move/rotate/scale/copy commands and line editing commands (offset line, fillet/chamfer, trim/extend, clip, join, and break).

1. You can [create a dynaview] on the Cutting Plane View tab, allowing you to display the CAD objects in a dynaview frame in the Plan View or insert the dynaview frame into a a sheet view that can be printed as part of a plan set. Or you can export a view to a DWG or DXF file. For more information, see [Create a Dynaview]

I am still playing around but it seems the most likely option. I don’t know how hard a decent deliverable will be to create from it though. I am finding that when creating a dyna-view in the plane viewer and applying to a sheet view, IFC/LAS data is lost and only surfaces display on the sheet. I’m out in the weeds hoping for something rad on the backside.

1 Like

maybe someone can point me in a direction - I have been able to get planes to do what i want with them until i try to plot them. Once the dynaview moves to sheet view, i am left with a jumbled mess of surface.
Why is my dynaview not holding from the cutting plane viewer to sheet view?

I will take a look tomorrow after training Nate - not sure as I dont use the cutting plane for much really but I understand what you are trying to achieve i think

Alan

Alan,

When the help states: use the Cutting Plane View to create CAD line work right on the view (for example, linework tracing features on a building façade) that can be printed as a dynaview in a sheet set

I am wondering if that is very literal. Surfaces will carry over and CAD Objects. Thats it.
I may be missing something in the flow from Cut Plane view to Sheet view but I am beginning to think that it is limited to surface and cad item display