How to speed up calculations in TBC

Whether it’s General Use or Reporting, we often get asked if there’s a way to speed up calculations in TBC. TBC’s default surface calculation when comparing 2 surfaces is to calculate the difference in between each triangle 12 different ways. This over calculation isn’t necessary in most situations and other software applications certainly don’t do this.

This calculation setting is located in Project Settings / Computations / Surface / Volume Computation. TBC defaults to Track All Triangles. If you change this setting to Do Not Track Breaklines you should see a noticeable difference in speed / performance in calculations. You should also notice a performance difference in running reports.

• Trev

3 Likes

Trev,

Does this affect the accuracy of the earthwork reports?

Ben

I would recommend running it both ways to see the difference yourself. The difference is very minimal if any depending on the project.

I was looking for the complete explanation of the rebuild methods, I know I’ve seen it in a video with Alan somewhere but I can not find it anymore.
Would you mind posting something about the Surface intersection methods?

Thanks in advance

Press F1 to get to the TBC help window and search “Computation Settings”, scroll down to Volume Computations and there is an explanation for each setting

1 Like

Surface Modeling Basics should be the class you are looking for.