Georeference Vector PDF's w/ Multiple Plan Views per Sheet

I am working on a project that has multiple plan views per plan sheet. This is causing problems in multiple ways. I don’t know of a way to Georeference multiple plan views from a single sheet. Also, the clipping boundary being restricted to a rectangle that can only be oriented in one direction is causing overlap issues once they are places due to the skewed orientation on the plan sheet.
What is the solution here?

I believe you can use any shape crop. I could do a screen share with you. Matt@youngsconstructionservices.com

To do this. I would use image boundry’s vs the clipping boundry in the georef interface. also i will import the same sheet twice or more depending on how many plan view boxes it has.

3 Likes

Also, you can edit the priority settings of each image.

Okay. At what point do I create and add the image boundary?

Thanks,
Saul

after you georef the page. then draw a line around the space you want make sure its closed. put the line on a its own layer call it image boundry that way you can turn off your boundry lines. use
to make it an image boundry tied to the pdf you want cut off.

1 Like

If you want to be able to reference all of the views of a sheet, you will need to import the sheet multiple times. For example, if there are 3 plan views per sheet, you’ll need to import the same sheet 3 times.

Once you reference the sheets, to clip out the part of the page you don’t want, I would agree with Danny. Create a boundary around each of the plan views per your needs and add them as an image boundary to the appropriate sheets to isolate the plan view needed. Using this method, you do not need to have a rectangle like in the command, you can use any shape you need to retain the data you want and cut out what you don’t need.

3 Likes

Thank you. That is very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Saul

Thanks Chris. That’s very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Saul

You are limited to one georeference per plan sheet import. For sheets with multiples, you need to import another copy of the same sheet with a different clipping boundary.

I would import the same sheet multiple times with clipping boundaries around each view needed. Hope this helps

This is the solution I use when needing to utilize several views from the same sheet.

For sheets with multiple details/views, I often reformat BEFORE importing into TBC; I have Bluebeam as my PDF viewer and it makes the job easy.
For example, I can clip each detail (shortcut ‘G’ in Bluebeam) which copies a high-resolution screenshot of the selected area, and then paste these as separate .jpg files that can be separately imported/georeferenced.
If it’s a broken-up plan view, I’ll stitch together into one continuous view in Bluebeam before importing into TBC - on a new blank sheet large enough to fit everything as needed.
If you need to preserve vector PDF info, stay in PDF format as obviously the .jpg is raster-only.

Another note: you can copy a sheet that’s already geo-referenced in TBC, it will postfix an incremented number on the name of the copy. You can then use the move/rotate/scale commands on the copy, or run any of the georeference commands to position it. Normally-imported sheets won’t be selectable in ‘My Filter’ but the copies will be, unless you open the view filter settings, find the copied sheet, and uncheck ‘Selectable’.

4 Likes

Oh wow, thanks. I also use Bluebeam so this tactic should work really well.

Thanks again,
Saul

1 Like

Further note on pasting screenshots as .jpg files: there are likely many ways to accomplish this, but if you have trouble finding a way, my way is via Directory Opus as a replacement for the stock Windows File Explorer.

Directory Opus has many, many features I could recommend, but in this specific case its ability to Ctrl+V paste whatever is on the clipboard into file format in whatever folder you currently have open makes the workflow I described dead easy. If the clipboard holds a screenshot or other graphic, it will paste as an image file and you can configure whatever format you need from a selection of standards such as .bmp, .jpg, .png, etc. Directory Opus is paid software (https://www.gpsoft.com.au/) but it is very reasonably priced and one of the few programs I can say has been 1000% worth every penny.

1 Like

This would also be my suggestion having multiple pages with identical names and pg numbers can make navigation a nightmare. When I have 2 or more plan views per page I typically create a second set of the extracted pages, at that point I use the erase content tool in bluebeam to remove the top plan view from one set and the bottom of the other, after you have one plan view per page you can merge the sets back together using the insert from pages under the document tab and interleave the pages back together leaving you with a plan set that has twice as many pages but only one plan view per page. this also helps navigate the line work if you are vectorizing the line work off the pdf as it reduces the lines by half.

2 Likes