Exported Text from TBC adds extra character in SCS/Siteworks

I export text into the dxf for use in the SCS/Siteworks software. The text shows up in the software with additional characters that were not in TBC. For example: TBC: 25.65; SCS:\25.65\0

I have tried changing fonts, font size, font properties, removing spaces and editing the text, etc…

Is there a way to work around this?

I will take a look Jason

Honestly I have not had this issue. Sometimes I explode the text first before exporting

Jason
Not sure what is going on here - I tested the following in TBC v5.5 today - this may be a TBC version thing of course but I dont think that the DXF Export for Siteworks / SCS900 has changed in quite a while

I created three bits of text in TBC as shown below

I then used the Construction Data workflow to create a Site with nothing in it and then a Design with a Design Map and added the three bits of Text and this is what I got in Siteworks

The Text Style in TBC that I used was as shown below

I cannot think what is happening with the Text otherwise - are you using the Construction Data workflow or just a straight DXF output? Are you sending to SCS900 or Siteworks, what Versions of TBC and SCS/Siteworks are you looking at. Have you tried reimporting the DXF into TBC or looking at the definition of the Text in the DXF file (using a Text Editor, Search for the Text that you had on screen and see how it is written in the DXF file - it should look as follows - are the strange characters in the DXF - if it looks right in the DXF file then you are likely looking at an SCS900 or Siteworks Version Issue and you would likely have to take that up with Trimble Product guys (Steve DiBenedetto or Casey Cyrus) - I have pinged Steve to see if he knows anything that may shine a light on this

I also checked True Type vs Standard Text and both seemed to work OK - SCS just substitutes its own Text for Text anyhow so I guessed that would work OK

I will let you know when / if I hear back from Trimble folks

MTEXT
1F
AcDbEntity
AcDbMText
MTEXT
1F
AcDbEntity
AcDbMText
MTEXT
1F
AcDbEntity
AcDbMText
RPS Do Great Stuff
ENDSEC

Here is a response that I got from the Trimble team on this question Jason

Text does present some issues in Siteworks relative to SCS900 due to our changing to an open source CAD viewer in Siteworks.

But if someone just wants to have “26.65” show up and there are extra characters, not quite sure what’s going on there. Some of the bigger issues relate to MText which Siteworks does not handle all that great. So exploding stuff or turning it into single line text objects (if possible/practical) can sometimes help.

*Note: Exploding MText objects converts multiline text into one or more lines of normal text objects - this may help, however I did not see an issue in my test with the emulator on a single line of text

Best way to proceed would be to send me CAD files and screenshots of the offending sections in the file so that I can get someone to look at them and see what’s going on and then investigate a fix

In talking with Jason (for the benefit of others) he mentioned that he thinks maybe this issue may be related to text imported from CAD files that has underlining - if that is causing the issue then you can edit the text style in TBC to remove the Underlining - that may or may not update all the imported text - if it does not, you can select all of the text objects or text objects with the underline text style using normal select methods or Advanced Select methods and then change the text style from what it is set to to something else and then change it back again at which point the Text Styles will get reapplied.

Because Text Styles are used to define the properties of Text, but any property can be changed, the text style is just a reference that sets the initial properties of the text - they are not dynamically updated by a change to the Text Style automatically once you have made a change to the style.

Alan

This can happen with multiline text, especially if you have equations in your text. This is also an issue with Earthworks.