Creating a Parking Lot Regrade Model

In the video below we show you some Tips and Tricks to create a regrade model for a parking lot - there are many approaches to this and you are going to have a decent grasp of surface modeling methods and what you are really trying to achieve in order to learn how to do this.

This is the scenario

I am a Concrete and Asphalt Paving Contractor, i just purchased a UTS Total Station, Siteworks and a Grade Control system for my grader and a copy of TBC (this is where the magic happens I am told …). I get a lot of projects where we mill out an existing parking lot or road and we put in new stone to grade and a new pavement surface with a uniform mat thickness. We sometimes get to put in new islands and curb, but very often we have to fit to what is there and we have to match existing wherever we tie into roads or other parking areas etc that we tie into.

We go out and typically topo what is there - sometimes (like in this case) we get there after the milling has been completed and the new stone has been placed but not spread and graded / compacted. In this case we topo’d some lines across entrances / sawcuts at existing grade, and in other areas we topo’d the top face of curb as it exists to get elevations. In this case the curb is designed as a 6" vertical face curb. The pavement that exists has evidently been re-laid before, also the curb has likely moved over time so it is not perfect, however we want to create as good a pavement surface as we can while leaving the maximum curb reveal possible - understanding that the curb height above the finished grade we create will not be a uniform height - in this case this is the key information - the existing top of curb shots, offset down by 6" will give us a guide but will not be the absolute data that we use to build the model - we will regrade our copy of the curb lines and pavement lines to create a good finished grade surface that is smooth and well sloped, and we will do that so it fits as well as possible to the existing curb - and if the max curb reveal is 0.5’ we will try to keep the final curb reveals to between 0.3’ and 0.5’ giving us some “wriggle room” to work with. We also have to tie into existing Catch Basins (rim Z) and any other manhole covers etc. on site.

In this example, the entire parking lot grades to one or two key points, the largest of the two creates a “bowl” shape in the pavement. We also have to have an absolute minimum slope of 0.8% ideally 1% slope on all parts of the surface for drainage and the drainage has to work.

So how do we go about doing this?

This was a second video where we refined the methods somewhat, in the first video we showed some other methods that I will revisit in a new recording during this week. This video shows some refined processes to use.

Hope you like it

Demonstration Video I

Coming Soon

Demonstration Video II

Video 1 of 3

Video 2 of 3

Video 3 of 3

3 Likes