Can not import DXF linework

I have been having an issue with TBC where it does not allow me to import a .DXF. Every time I do it gives me the error “TBC has suffered an unexpected error” I am currently using v2024.

I have tried

• Import by dragging
  • Import tab
  • restarting computer
  • uninstalling and reinstalling TBC 2024
  • Version 5.90
    -Clean up Utility exe
  • additional licensing keys
    Still all with no luck.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried more than one DXF? In other words, do you know that problem is not with that specific DXF?

Trevor
If you send us the file (alan.sharp@rockpilesolutions.com) I can take a look at it in TBC as well in AutoCAD to see if I can find the problem for you.

Alan

Alan,

There isn’t a specific file necessarily. I tried opening up different linework from Civil 3D, Microstation, Autocad, etc., and all gave the same error.

I did manage to get it to work when backdating Trimble to 5.1 anything newer version causes the issue of creating an error.

Even when exporting DXF out of an unnamed or saved TBC file re-importing will cause the issue, unfortunately.

When you cleanse your system you should do the following

1. use control panel to deinstall TBC
  2. run cleanup utility
  3. reboot your PC that finalizes the cleaning of the registry
  4. download another version of TBC offline installer - i never use the online installer as that always causes me problems - do this in case the one you have got corrupted somehow
  5. install TBC
  6. reboot your PC

Now try

You can also check file associations on your PC to see what DXF is associated with - some programs when you install them try to associate the file extensions to their applications - that can cause real problems. DXF should be associated with either no application or AutoCAD or Trueview if you have that installed - that could be the source of your problem - type file associations in at the windows prompt - that should take you to the settings area for that and check what DXF is associated with. Change the association as needed.

Go to Control Panel
Programs
Default Programs
Scroll down to near bottom of Programs List to Related Settings
Select Choose defaults by File Type
Find DXF in the list of file types
Check that it is set to AutoCAD or at least an AutoCAD application like TrueView - or leave it set to Choose a default (this I guess is like undefined), you could also try associating it with TBC if you do not have an AutoCAD program installed on your computer.

I would set this and then reboot and see if that helps

Let me know if either of these work

Alan

1 Like