Best Practices for getting Pressure Networks from C3D to TBC and into the field

I’ve recently been getting a lot of pressure network information from engineers, which I have the task of getting from Civil3D into TBC and into the field. Does anyone have tips or tricks for handling this data? Since there’s no XML export option for pressure networks, so far the best thing I have is exporting the point data for the pipes, fittings, and appurtenances to a .csv and the connecting the dots once in TBC.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Hello @Steven_Okelberry

What software do you use in the field?
We’re using Trimble Access in the field and exporting out utility networks from TBC as a landxml file works. It comes in to TA as points and lines with attributes such as material, diameter, thickness. Like a dxf with attributes I would say.

TA can use IFC files, converts it to the Trimble format TRB when imported to TA. These types of files will come in as “solids” into TA too bad there isn’t an ifc/TRB exporter for this in TBC.

We use Siteworks for the most part. The problem is that Pressure Networks from Civil3D don’t export as a LandXML like typical utility networks.

1 Like

We’ve been manually rebuilding the network in TBC with all the fittings as nodes. The biggest challenge we have with this method is that there isn’t any way we can find to put deflection into the pipe without adding a node.

The second part of the problem that we are having is that utility networks in TBC don’t export correctly through the construction data tab. So, the work around is to export the network as a dxf and re-import it into TBC then export it out again through construction data. To clarify, we are exporting 3D lines to our Earthworks Excavators to use the network design to create invert surfaces in Earthworks and then offset them to the trench subgrade surface.

2 Likes