Works Manger/Works OS training

Are there currently any Works Manager/ Works OS training videos? Would like to have training videos for the complete cycle from sending files to the field for machine control to bringing files back into TBC to form surfaces, etc to track field progress, and best management practices for these processes.

1 Like

I would recommend that you get your dealer to spend some personal time with you. I am just getting through the works manager process myself and there is a lot going on there. workflows are different(slightly), the vcl publish pushes out different file types based on controller used and the design model selection. ie - a published road design goes to works manager as a .vcl but the files received on sync are a .pro/.dxf. I am still getting my head wrapped around it but I found that some personal time with my sitech dude really helped.

We have not done this yet and it is changing almost daily so kind of hard to hit a moving target - I did some videos in the Works Manager section of our Community pages - here is a link to one of those - but this was done last summer and it has changed somewhat since then.

I can try to put some time into this over the next few weeks and will build some videos for the Training Portal most likely

Alan

Thanks Nate. We are currently going from zero machines to upwards of 25-30 devices including data collectors and internet base stations. I am sure we will be leaning hard on the sitech guys but they are swamped at the moment and I want every avenue available for help to get the most out of this new investment. Do you have any experience with the internet base stations? They are saying the range is 8 miles. Do you get more or less than that? What do you feel comfortable with in regards to accuracy? What are the limitations you may have found?

1 Like

Thanks Alan. I will watch and have our surveyor watch as well and I look forward to seeing the new videos. On another note I would like to renew my membership and would also like to add our surveyor at the same level. What is the best deal to do so?

1 Like

nothing like getting your feet wet…I have exactly zero experience with internet base stations. I know with the 855’s under perfect conditions I can get around five miles with a repeater on hand just in case. But then I have been on other sites where I could only get a half mile out. I don’t expect more than two miles or about half of what’s advertised.

Nate

We are in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and the majority of our work right now is subdivisions. Two of the internet base stations properly positioned will cover close to 20 of our projects and more potentially coming under that coverage area. We are going to try it and see if it keeps us from having to maintain so many base stations.

I have had a lot of success with this. I installed 6 internet base stations this year to address the same problem. They work great and if setup correctly you can monitor remotely and update remotely. My crews have been very receptive to these making it easier on layout foreman and machines. Also works great for bouncing between projects.

I would just make sure you keep your connection to your base 10 miles and under. 6 and under is ideal. The further your get away from the base the larger your error will increase.

1 Like

What do you see typically in accuracy going from 6 to 8 to 10 miles?

Starts to get around an inch vertical which I would rather not run with for full production sites.

Here are some tools for gauging. There is a section specifically for IBSS that will allow you to input your credentials and generate a kml with accuracy rings.
https://trimbletools.com/

1 Like

It gets around an inch vertical at 8 miles or 10 miles? I will check out your link as well.

your residuals on the data collector.

(This is just a picture of my emulator not an actual representation of results).

I see what you mean on the data collector. I was referring to the distance from the base when you hit the one inch on the vertical residual. Is that normally around the 8 mile or 10 mile?

It varies on conditions and obstructions. Also if you are running full constellations, which I would highly recommend. I would say 10 miles is the max that you would want to push this. There is no set distance with number.

All of the base stations we are using are using full constellations. All of the guys in the field really like not having to maintain a base station in the field. (Just basically show up and go to work). Our surveyor likes having less issues with bases going from job to job and not knowing where it is at. We like the base being out of the weather and less issues with wear and tear on cables constantly hooking and unhooking. You mentioned earlier “being able to monitor remotely and update remotely”. Can you explain that a little more?

We have mobile hotspots; https://cradlepoint.com/product/endpoints/ibr900/ that each of our bases use for internet connection. I then have a static ip setup for each one so that I can remote in and view the web ui of the base unit. This helps for maintaining the units if there are in location that may be tough to access after hours.

We used a pepwave for our hotspots. Is there a service charge associated with the cradle point to allow the remote monitoring and if so what does that normally run if you don’t mind me asking?

Do you happen to have a few pictures of your base connected to this cradlepoint mobile hotspot?

1 Like

It was less than $500 for 3 years which I deemed well worth it.