Linestring Editor vs Vertical Design for elevating linework

This type of question comes up all the time - I thought I would capture it on video with a really simple example to demonstrate the differences

The question came up in discussion with an end user. He is working a subdivision model and is learning the different methods of TBC to create 3D linework and 3D Models. We have been working on his Corridor Skills, his Linework editing / elevating skills and today we ventured into advanced linestring editing vs vertical design methods of elevating linework.

The video below shows a really simple example where we used the Linestring Editor first to elevate the centerline using some grade break elevations (no vertical alignment curves) and then used the linestring editor to compute the edge of pavement lines elevations using a cross slope from the centerline. This works in this example because there are no vertical curves in the centerline. If there were we would have to compute many more points along the line to generate the edge of pavement lines.

Having elevated the edge of pavement, he wanted to create an offset line 5’ from edge of pave, 3’ behind back of curb for stakeout purposes, but wants the elevations to match the edge of pavement elevations.

We can use the offset line to offset the edge of pavement to the stake line location and the elevations will all be transferred correctly.

The second method we use is the vertical design method where we elevate the centerline followed by the edge of pavement followed by the stakeout lines using Elevation Rules, Offset Slope and Offset Elevation Rules to compute the 3D linework.

We finish up the video creating 3D points at all key locations and intervals along the centerline using the RPS Point Creator tool. These are points ready for stakeout in the field.

Hope you like the video - this one needs Toffee Popcorn I think …

2 Likes