Elevating lines for a model

More and more I have started using the Vertical Design tool for just elevating lines when I have lots of spot elevations to create along lines or at intersections between lines. Why you might ask?

The Vertical Design approach has a few benefits over editing the linestrings and entering VPIs as follows

1. you do not need to select and edit a line to add the vertical design rules to a line or a line intersection - you can just place the rules at the point where you need them

2. the vertical design rule properties shows the elevation that you entered and it is easy to change if you make a typo

3. if you place it in the wrong place you can use grips to move it into the right place

4. if you place it at an intersection of 2 or more lines it elevates all the lines in one step

5. it is simply easier and faster to do it this way

6. you can select a block of lines eg lot lines, ROW lines and back of lot lines plus any walkout basement lines and slope breaks or retaining walls in the section of a subdivision and work on those as a block and then start a different vertical design for a second block keeping the instructions under control and keeping the speed up for elevating the data.

As you drag the VD rules the linework instantly updates and separates lines or connects lines depending on where the rule is placed - move it along one line away from an intersection the second line is dropped from the rule - move it onto an intersection the second line is picked up and adjusted by the rule. The model is dynamic and adjusts automatically to changes made - a better way to work

Way better for elevating data in my view

1 Like